|practicing sitting for & during homeschool for the big kids|
As you may know we've been blessed with twins, who are now almost 2. We have been pretty lax on teaching them to sit during service. It's really been overwhelming to have the two one year olds as you can imagine. In addition, to having them chattering, talking & occassionally screaming to each other throughout the service. I finally decided to just sit in the hallway with them. But this was just teaching them that if they chatter they get to play when we go to church.
Then we started a family book club and we became very serious about teaching them to sit quietly it and service. The biggest thing we've done to help them to sit quietly is that during family devotions & book club (and soon we will start at Lifegroup) is having them sit still & quiet in our lap. If they are fidgety or noisy they are gently warned and if they continue, then they receive a punishment and we quickly return to what we were doing.
|more practicing sitting for & during homeschool|
For our family when we made it a priority that they sit quietly with us then it began ot happen. If you are having trouble training kiddos here are a few questions that we had to consider that may help you ....
- Is it a priority for your family?
- Have you identified good training times?
- Have you been consistent in both the training times and the discipline?
- Do you provide proper encouragement while they are sitting and after they have done a good job sitting quietly? ("Oh, you sat just like a big boy/girl...)
- Are both parents really & practically (as in hands on/will stop whatever they are doing to disciple their children) on board? If Dad espeacially is busy teaching/talking then training may take much longer. If Dad doesn't think this is something he wants to do, then we need to joyfully be on board with Dad's plan.
- Have you discussed your game plan so you are both on the same page.
|Quiet blanket time at the Music Theory Test|
Not suprisingly I have also found is that it has been a huge help to me in homeschool also. The little ones play happily on their "blanketed area" or sit happily in my lap. We have less random crying and fits and our life has become a little more orderly because the twins are learning self control through this training.
Linked to two wonderful bloggers at :