Monday, April 16, 2012

The Frugal Kitchen:Garden & Chickens

So recently I posted we need to stay within our grocery budget. Well I just re-did our budget and its tighter then I thought, we actually have $100 less then what I thought. So its time to evaluate our options on making our dollars stretch to feed our growing brood.
Chickens: Our chickens are providing us with enough eggs so I feel like our $7-10 month spent on feed is worth it. But I plan on keeping track of our egg production as it may be time to get some chicks.I'm going to try to keep track of how many pounds of veggies we produce this year. Just to make sure I'm not losing money!

The Garden: Which by the way I praise God, that we are able to do a winter garden. In our garden we have planted lettuce, turnips (a family favorite), beets, peas, mint, chard, spinach, radish, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and radishes!

For my garden I tend to choose veggies that have high yields, such as turnips. We eat turnip greens because you can eat the leaf and the root! Lettuce is another wonderful high producer because as you peel away leaves new lettuce leaves grow in their place. Thus extending the harvest! We are also growing beets & radishes as snack items. I plan to can the beets and we just wash the radishes and the kids eat them with a bit of salt.
Finally, in the Encyclopedia of Country Living they have a Homesteader's Dinner listed, which is eaten when one can produce all the components of it. I am looking forward to making it sometime in April or June, but I'll let you know how it goes.



.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to check out our farm blog: Rooster Hill Farm we are currently accepting new broiler & egg customers!







Topics: farming, homesteading, chickens, garden, buff orpingtons, kids, Christ, Christian Homemaking, Bible, rabbits, chicks,cooking, food, comfort food, country food, nurishing traditions, organic, Baptist, raising kids, farm, fun, black homeschoolers, black homeschool, lamplighter coupon, lamp lighter discount, decorate small house, country decor, reformed baptist, Mama



Site Meter