Monday, July 13, 2009

Planninng for our upcoming year of Unit Study


Previously I have planned for each unit study as they came along. But this year as we are using both Christian Cottage and the Prairie Primer to study Early America. So I am creating a spreadsheet with the following categories across the top:
Unit Name
Total week
Topic
Literature Read Aloud
Readers
History/ Science Projects
Additional Items

Under Unit name I put the name of the unit and the book in which it is found; As I will complete Christian Cottage Volume 3 and start Volume 4 as well as utilizing the Prairie Primer.

Total Week- I keep track of the total weeks of school covered by each unit until I reach the grand total of 32 weeks. That gives me 4 weeks of lost time, doctors appointments etc...

Lit & Read Aloud - I assign Literature and Read Alouds as suggested by the Christian Cottage & Prairie Primer. I also take a look at Sonlight & Winter Promise to see if there is anything I would like to add.

Readers- I assign the readers for the grade levels first by checking our personal collection and then I go back to Sonlight and Winter Promise to see what sort of twaddle free literature is available on the subject. I then check the library to see if the library has the book if it does I note it on the form if not I have to decide if I want to buy the book.

History/Science Projects- This is where I comb through the unit study and write down all the things I should be collecting like toilet paper rolls to make Indian housing and paper towel rolls for totem poles.

Additional Items - That is where I record any additional things like games, field trip ideas etc... that would correspond with the unit. Once this is complete I will 3 hole punch it and put it in my binder for easy access. I am doing this because last year I was frustrated because I was rarely ready for the beginning of new units. This lack of organization usually resulted in a one week delay to locate books & materials with nearly every unit. So I encourage you to give a little more planning a try whether you plan for day more or a year more! My goal is to have the information at my finger tips before the school year begins and to have books ordered that I need so I can have a fun, smooth and stress free hands on year!

Happy Homeschooling!

Kyle

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to check out our farm blog: Rooster Hill Farm we are currently accepting new broiler & egg customers!







Topics: farming, homesteading, chickens, garden, buff orpingtons, kids, Christ, Christian Homemaking, Bible, rabbits, chicks,cooking, food, comfort food, country food, nurishing traditions, organic, Baptist, raising kids, farm, fun, black homeschoolers, black homeschool, lamplighter coupon, lamp lighter discount, decorate small house, country decor, reformed baptist, Mama



Site Meter