So far it appears that a peaceful dwelling place is a place without strife, yelling, fussing, cursing. Instead it is a place that is filled with cooperation and harmony. Now I want to look at dwelling places.
According to Dictionary.com :
- dwelling (noun) -a building or place of shelter to live in; place of residence; abode; home.
- place (noun) 1. the specific portion of space normally occupied by anything: The vase is in its place. Every item on the shelf had its place. 2. a space, area, or spot, set apart or used for a particular purpose: a place of worship; a place of entertainment.
So lets go off to Biblegateway(some of 87)...
- Numbers 24:5"How beautiful are your tents, O Jacob, your dwelling places, O Israel!
- Leviticus 26:11I will put my dwelling place among you, and I will not abhor you.
- Genesis 27:39His father Isaac answered him, "Your dwelling will be away from the earth's richness, away from the dew of heaven above.
- 2 Samuel 7:6I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought the Israelites up out of Egypt to this day. I have been moving from place to place with a tent as my dwelling.
- 1 Chronicles 16:27Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy in his dwelling place.
- Psalm 31:20In the shelter of your presence you hide them from the intrigues of men; in your dwelling you keep them safe from accusing tongues.
- John 1:14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
- Ephesians 2:22And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
- Revelation 21:3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.
Our homes should be beautiful. I don't think he means professionally decorated but nicely put together, comfortable, clean and welcoming. In quickly reveiwing beautiful in Biblegateway I think our homes should be attractive places.
I need to keep in mind that my dwelling place is away from the earth's richness.Througout Chronicles it reminds us that heaven is our dwelling place as God's people (2 Chronicles 6:39,2 Chronicles 6:33,2 Chronicles 6:30).
Leviticus reminds me that You want to dwell with us. But to think that our place needs to be peaceful so you can dwell with us. When I stop to think about it I wouldn't walk into a chaotic house full of rancour & discord and think wow the Lord resides here! I wouldn't want to get some of what they had so instead of attracting folks to you I would be a repellant!
Another thing is that our dwelling place isn't just our home but wherever we are at. (2Sam7:6) Also its every part of where we live, we need to look at the micro as well as the macro.
My people will live in [places with co-operation and harmony dwelling with the Lord], in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest. My amplified Interpretation of Isaiah 38:18
So our home should be a place marked by co-operation, harmony and peace that is pleasing to the Lord, a beautiful place, a place in which he wants to dwell. Our homes should be focused on the Lord and his kingdom. We should have a beautiful home which is clean, well organized, picked up (not perfect) well decorated for your family and inviting. Is this what our homes are like? Does God want to dwell with us do you see Him finding rest with us?