Saturday, September 18, 2010

Reading the word to the littles

I am always looking for ways to fill our home with scripture. At the Above Rubies retreat we went to the speaker (Nancy Campbell) mentioned in passing that one of her daughters had all of her children listening to the Bible on CD. She'd stop the CD and they would discuss what they just heard and then they would plow on ahead as Mom and the children all listened  and discussed the Bible intently for about an hour. WOW! So shortly after returning home we began to listen to the Bible for an hour each day and we would stop and discuss portions of the Bible. Or I would clarify the things they wanted to know more about or I would tell them to ask their Dad when he got home if the question was just too much for me! :) By the summer we had listened to then entire new Testament and we are currently listening to the Old Testament.

Now they listen for 15 minutes to 30 minutes while they are eating breakfast in the morning. We listen and stop and discuss what we have heard,  I answer questions and we talk about the word. All 5 kiddos are usually listening and if Mom has to change a diaper or feed a baby we just continue on listening seamlessly. Additionally, the kids are retaining information they have heard. This is has been really great way to start our day.

Maybe you cannot listen for an hour...neither can we so I'd encourage you to listen for as long as you can. Maybe you cannot listen over breakfast because it's too hurried then try to listen in your car/van/truck if you are rushing off somewhere. Or you could listen during lunch or dinner?.. Maybe you cannot discuss it then don't just listen. There are always obstacles to overcome but the fruit, oh the fruit sisters is worth it. I just want to encourage you to listen to the word to read the entire Bible you and your family will be blessed through it.

As the rain and the snow

come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:10-11


Rejoice and be exceedingly glad because great is your reward in heaven!

Kyle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We listen to the Bible on cd a lot. I always have it on in the kitchen and they love it. My retention is very bad, so I will listen to the same cd at least twice and the kids will actually tell me I have already listened to that!! I like the idea of stopping to discuss it. My sister had the great idea of playing the Bible in the hallway while the boys are falling asleep. Some days it takes Noah & Addison a long time to fall asleep and what a great way to use that time!! We haven't done it since vacation, so tomorrow we may begin again. They had listened to the Old Testament and retained so much! I hope to get an e-mail soon with pics of the TWINS!!!
Love you, Heather

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to check out our farm blog: Rooster Hill Farm we are currently accepting new broiler & egg customers!







Topics: farming, homesteading, chickens, garden, buff orpingtons, kids, Christ, Christian Homemaking, Bible, rabbits, chicks,cooking, food, comfort food, country food, nurishing traditions, organic, Baptist, raising kids, farm, fun, black homeschoolers, black homeschool, lamplighter coupon, lamp lighter discount, decorate small house, country decor, reformed baptist, Mama



Site Meter