Thursday, May 07, 2009

I am not called to regret Part 1


In studying repentance this morning I found myself in tears in thinking about how I have regretted so many things for so long. Felt powerless to move forward from them and was held in bondage to them. Just as Simon the sorcerer was in Acts 8 …

9Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, "This man is the divine power known as the Great Power." …But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13Simon himself believed and was baptized…

Simon believed and was baptized.

14When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. 15When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into[a] the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Simon received the Holy Spirit.

18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money 19and said, "Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."

20Peter answered: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! 21You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. 22Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. 23For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin."

Simon had believed, was baptized, received the Holy Spirit and his heart was still “full of bitterness and captive to sin”. He wanted to participate in the work of the Lord, he wanted the POWER of the Lord, but had not repented.

If I do not repent and I ignore the advice of the Holy Spirit within me I choose overwhelming … “disaster…..calamity….distress and trouble” (Prov 1) .
But … 23 If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you. (Prov 1) If I respond to God's rebuke with repentance God's thoughts become know to me!

Regret separates me from Lord repentance leads us back to fellowship with Him.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to check out our farm blog: Rooster Hill Farm we are currently accepting new broiler & egg customers!







Topics: farming, homesteading, chickens, garden, buff orpingtons, kids, Christ, Christian Homemaking, Bible, rabbits, chicks,cooking, food, comfort food, country food, nurishing traditions, organic, Baptist, raising kids, farm, fun, black homeschoolers, black homeschool, lamplighter coupon, lamp lighter discount, decorate small house, country decor, reformed baptist, Mama



Site Meter