Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Deep thoughts on pies...


Recently, I've been thinking about pies and using foods that are "over ripe". You know the bananas that are brown and perfect for banana bread. Apples that are a little soft. Since we are such a big fruit eating family I have decided to use these fruits for baking. I am sure Martha Stewart is rolling her eyes but honestly if we have fresh fruit I love for the kids to get to eat it but if it's past it's prime it's headed for a pie, bread crisp or buckle. I made my first apple pie with some over ripe fruit and it was a big hit.
So as Mom used to stay "Don't waste your food there are starving Ethiopians!"
Keeping it cheap at RH!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you. No reason to waste food. Over-ripe fruit goes in a smoothie, a bread or pie or cobbler or muffin or....

Anonymous said...

It's so funny, my mom says the same thing "There are starving chirdren out there that are dying each day, because of no food and water, you need to appericate what you have."

Unknown said...

I learned online a great tip with overripe fruit: sprinkle on some lemon juice or "fruit fresh" and pop that fruit into freezer bags. Then they're good to go for pies, crisps, breads, smoothies, etc. Fantastic - and cheap. Not to mention, they're perfect for jellies and jams too. I even make my own pie fillings and freeze them with overripe fruit. When laid flat in a large ziploc bag, it's exactly the amt you need for a pie or crisp, and it takes up very little freezer space. Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to check out our farm blog: Rooster Hill Farm we are currently accepting new broiler & egg customers!







Topics: farming, homesteading, chickens, garden, buff orpingtons, kids, Christ, Christian Homemaking, Bible, rabbits, chicks,cooking, food, comfort food, country food, nurishing traditions, organic, Baptist, raising kids, farm, fun, black homeschoolers, black homeschool, lamplighter coupon, lamp lighter discount, decorate small house, country decor, reformed baptist, Mama



Site Meter