Thursday, March 20, 2008

A lesson on Shabby Chic Decorating

I never can get a room pulled together just how I like it. I go to so many folks homes and their houses are so cute and look like they let a decorator loose (like beautiful Kirby Apel). Then you ask them about it and they reveal the truth, they did it themselves natural talent. Usually at this point my jaw drops open and I begin to wonder if I am color blind or just blind as I think of my house. As I've asked more people I've found out some decorate quickly and some overtime. I will always remember Mrs. Pratt's house all throughout her house were these great garage sale finds I specifically remember a set of 3 bamboo nesting tables. Much of which she purchased when her kids were young and money was tight while her hubby finished school. A while back I went to the Hendricks house they have this really cool casual totally pulled together look that I loved, Shabby Chic. I had tried Shabby Chic before and it really just looked Shabby, never quite made it to chic. So I asked Heather how did you do it? She told me the mistake everyone makes is the colors just look thrown together but they are really a part of a color palette. Palette that's a chic word. So off to the paint store I went to get the color palette that went with the colors on my walls. I was so excited to find out that my colors were Potter Barn colors. I'm not sure why I was so excited I NEVER buy anything from them. I just love their catalog, it's like a decorating magazine to me...oh, I digress, back to the paint store.....I also purchased 1 gallon of paint from that palette (before the house was built and we had a little money, I'm still saving for a second color!) The other thing she said that really got my attention is that for the most part any thing works with Shabby Chic you just have to paint it to go with the decor. Since Peyton was sick M0n-Wed and Parker got pink eye on Wed we are off from school so today is the perfect day to....PAINT! I love to get things off the side of the road, recently Julie Burnham found a little kids school desk and chair on the side of the road and brought it to me...How that warms my heart! Now Heather has revealed all I have to do is paint it into the correct color palette and I've got some winning decor. Now doesn't that frame "pop"? Thanks Heather you are multi-talented, a Godly woman and with a side of decorating genius!

2 comments:

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

So cute! I love this. I'm very proud of you Kyle. I can't wait to come visit Rooster Hill!

Lyns
p.s. Whens that thur homeschoolin' krew payin' us a visit?

Hendrick Family said...

I love the colors, Kyle! They are amazing. Look at you go!

Heather

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to check out our farm blog: Rooster Hill Farm we are currently accepting new broiler & egg customers!







Topics: farming, homesteading, chickens, garden, buff orpingtons, kids, Christ, Christian Homemaking, Bible, rabbits, chicks,cooking, food, comfort food, country food, nurishing traditions, organic, Baptist, raising kids, farm, fun, black homeschoolers, black homeschool, lamplighter coupon, lamp lighter discount, decorate small house, country decor, reformed baptist, Mama



Site Meter