Monday, June 21, 2010

Thrifty Decorating

Okay, so those of you that know us know we recently had to get rid of our old couch due to the immeasurable amount of throw up & other bodily fluids deposited on it in a 48 hour period! I hate to spend money on stuff like this if I don't have to. So first I asked a couple of friends that are moving to remote places that I thought might be off loading furniture...NO LUCK...then I posted on the local homeschool loop looking for a couch and a box spring...found the free box spring but no couch.
So now I knew I'd be buying a sofa I started to think about what I might want. (Yes, that is correct in the hunt for the free sofa I never considered what I would want!) I thought a sectional or a sofa with a chaise would fit perfectly into our space. I also wanted a sleeper sofa since we have converted our extra bedroom into a boys room with a crib. So my final step is to start hitting the thrift stores and see what they have. For furniture I like Quality Used Furniture so off we went to see what was at the store.  
I found this tan/taupe colored couch with a sleeper (with serta sleeper at that) and and a chaise. It was priced much higher then I wanted to pay but I was able to negotiate the price down to $175.  I am going to have to recover the seat cushions as the one on the far left has some wear. Other then that the sofa looks great!

On a side note I was surprised to find many of the college students and friends surprised and dismayed that we purchase used furniture and clothing. Am I alone does anyone else thrift shop out there?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's the only places I shop! I've found 4 awesome thrift stores in Conroe that have basically brand new clothes, that people in the area donate. In fact my most recent find when I was in town was a brand new pair of "Toms" shoes in a cute green for 1$!! (I know buying them full price still sends money to a good cause but I don't have that kind of money to spend on anything right now, and definitely not shoes). If you ever go to conroe they have great thrift stores!

Rachel said...

That sofa looks great in there!... and you're not alone :) We usually scour Craig's List, thrift stores, or select neighborhood curbs for our furniture needs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to check out our farm blog: Rooster Hill Farm we are currently accepting new broiler & egg customers!







Topics: farming, homesteading, chickens, garden, buff orpingtons, kids, Christ, Christian Homemaking, Bible, rabbits, chicks,cooking, food, comfort food, country food, nurishing traditions, organic, Baptist, raising kids, farm, fun, black homeschoolers, black homeschool, lamplighter coupon, lamp lighter discount, decorate small house, country decor, reformed baptist, Mama



Site Meter