Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I am not called to regret III


I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on regret. Regret is not a sin. In fact, regret is more like a red light that tells me to stop and examine why I am regreting something.
23 Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds; Proverbs 27:23
But if you determine the regret is not a sin; for example, perhaps you had a conversation and wish you said this or that and regret that you did not remember something or another. Then you probably need to apply 1 Cor 10:5 and begin to take every thought captive. Recognizing that what you thought was regret may actually be condemnation.
However, if the regret is a sin then you need to repent! Regret is simply an early stop on the route to repentance.
6 I have listened attentively, but they do not say what is right. No one repents of his wickedness, saying, "What have I done?" Each pursues his own course like a horse charging into battle. Jeremiah 8:6
Poor Jeremiah, these folks seem to lack any trace of regret.
To me if I simply regret my actions but I never repent then I'd be like the man from James:
22Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. James 1:22-24
Instead I want to be like Nehemiah .....
"Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire." 4 When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven. ... I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father's house, have committed against you. "Nehemiah 1:3-7
........or Josiah...
" 8 Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the secretary, "I have found the Book of the Law in the temple of the LORD." He gave it to Shaphan, who read it. 9 Then Shaphan the secretary went to the king and reported to him:"....Hilkiah the priest has given me a book." And Shaphan read from it in the presence of the king.
11 When the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, he tore his robes. " 2 Kings 22:8-11
and my dear Asa ...
"Asa did what was good and right in the eyes of the LORD his God." 2 Chronicles 14:2
I am not called to regret but to repent
"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,...'Acts 3:19

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Don't forget to check out our farm blog: Rooster Hill Farm we are currently accepting new broiler & egg customers!







Topics: farming, homesteading, chickens, garden, buff orpingtons, kids, Christ, Christian Homemaking, Bible, rabbits, chicks,cooking, food, comfort food, country food, nurishing traditions, organic, Baptist, raising kids, farm, fun, black homeschoolers, black homeschool, lamplighter coupon, lamp lighter discount, decorate small house, country decor, reformed baptist, Mama



Site Meter